Grosse Point Lighthouse was worked by the United States Government in 1873 as the lead lighthouse denoting the way to deal with Chicago after a few wrecks exhibited its need. The projection on which it stands was named Grosse Point (Great Point) by early French travelers and dealers in the seventeenth century. Throughout the years, the U.S. Government dropped the French "e" on Point.
This region was first diagrammed in 1673 by the celebrated French pioneer and cartographer, Louis Jolliet, and his buddy, Father Jacques Marquette, Jesuit evangelist. Marquette restored the next year and makes reference in his journal to outdoors on Grosse Pointe before arriving at the Chicago River following day.
Please visit the business of one of our regular supporters.
Lighthouse Park District 2601 Sheridan Road Evanston, IL
Follow articles RSS
Follow comments' RSS flux